Donna Earl's Ten Top Tips
"Help Your Help Desk Deliver Top Notch Support"
From the Help Desk Coach
- Create guidelines for a good beginning for your help desk calls. Monitor
and make sure all agents are following your good call beginning
guidelines to consistently make a good first impression on your callers.
- End users value consistency on the help desk. With professional call
beginnings and agents who connect with the callers, your user base will
recognize the help desk as a team of professionals.
- If callers prefer certain agents over others, increase training efforts
to assure consistency in call handling.
- Effective help desk agents are able to manage their own emotions
and defuse the emotions of frustrated users. Remember that emotions
- End users can be grouped into 3 categories:
a. Advanced, tech savvy users
b. Moderately comfortable with technology
c. Confused and resistant
- The approach to dealing with the user must match their level of comfort
and sophistication with technology.
- Promote self-help following resolution of the user issue, and follow
up with email link.
- Campaigns to promote self-help within organizations must be user-centric
and follow the WIIFU benefits rule.
- Every good call ends with a good ending. Summarize, recap, follow
up with an email, and offer future help.
- Consistently professional endings yield positive surveys.
Copyright © 2010 Donna Earl. All
is an international expert in Customer Service. She specializes in helping
technical help desks deliver world class customer service. To use or reprint
this article, or for further information about Donna's consulting or training
services, contact us by phone or
For more information about HelpDeskCoach.com training, see Programs.
UK: +44 (0)7729 814 890
Copyright © 2005-2012 HelpDeskCoach